Get real-time alerts when your email appears in a data breach
- Use the NordPass Data Breach Scanner to check whether your passwords or credit card details have ever been leaked, and get real-time notification in case your sensitive information appears in a breach.
What is Data Breach Scanner?
- Data Breach Scanner is an built-in NordPass Premium feature that automatically scans leaked databases and compares them to items saved in your vault. If any of your email addresses, passwords, or credit card details have ever been leaked, NordPass will list it highlighting which breaches could affect you the most.
- Data Breach Scanner also helps you identify where and when the leak happened and what type of data was compromised. Depending on the data that was leaked you will get tailored recommendations on best protection practices for the affected accounts.
- Enabling proactive Breach Monitoring means that you will get real-time alerts if your sensitive data appears in a data leak.
- If any of your passwords have appeared in a breach, we recommend changing them immediately. Update them to a stronger alternative that is longer than 8 characters and contains multiple numbers, symbols, and upper- and lowercase letters. Also, make sure that the compromised password isn’t used to protect your other accounts. If so, change their passwords too.
- If your credit card details have appeared in any breaches, we recommend checking your bank balance for any suspicious activity. If you suspect that someone might be using your credit card, notify your bank immediately.
How to use the Data Breach Scanner
- Log in to your NordPass app.
- Select “Tools” from the menu in the lower left corner.
- Click “Data Breach Scan.” (Only available on NordPass Premium.) In the new window, click “Scan Now” and wait. It may take up to a few minutes. You should now see how many breaches your data has appeared in. You can also click on each item to see more information about where and when your data was leaked.
- Update your vulnerable password to protect your accounts.
Enable Breach Monitoring
- Breach Monitoring is a feature of Data Breach Scanner designed to proactively monitor your email addresses and issue real-time notifications if any of your emails appear in a data breach. Thanks to Breach Monitoring, individuals affected by a breach can act quickly to minimize the potential damage incurred by the breach.
- The email address associated with your NordPass account will be added to the monitoring list automatically. To add additional email addresses for Breach Monitoring, here’s what you need to do:
- Navigate to the “Data Breach Scanner” section in the NordPass vault.
- Find the “Breach Monitoring: tab at the top of the page.
- Once you select it, add an additional email address.
- Verify the email address.
- As soon as your email address is verified, Breach Monitoring will start daily automated scans for data breaches of the added email.